In 2006, Dr. Moen and Dr. Kelly partnered with Best Buy and CultureRx to study a new workplace flexibility initiative called ROWE (Results Only Work Environment). The goal was to understand the ways this initiative affected employees' productivity and life quality, as well as the health and well-being of their family members.
The Flexible Work and Well-Being Study examined what was taking place in Best Buy as it moved beyond the inflexible clockworks of work that most Americans take for granted. This research partnership offered something of a "natural experiment," tracking changes as the company implemented the ROWE initiative. The Minnesota team collected data through observations, informal discussions, and in-depth interviews, as well as two web-based surveys at two points in time.
The Flexible Work and Well-Being Center used the findings from this study to inform the next phase of research. See publications from the larger Work, Family & Health Network here.
Publications from this center:
- Berkman, L. F., Liu, S. Y., Hammer, L., Moen, P., Klein, L. C., Kelly, E., Fay, M., Davis, K., Durham, M., Karuntzos, G., & Buxton, O. M. (2015). Work-Family Conflict, Cardiometabolic Risk, and Sleep Duration in Nursing Employees. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology.
- DePasquale, N., Polenick, C.A., Davis, K.D., Moen, P., Hammer, L.B. & Almeida, D.M. (2015). The Psychological Implications of Managing Work and Family Caregiving Roles: Gender Differences Among Information Technology Professionals.. Journal of Family Issues. 1-25.
- Davis, K.D., Lawson, K.M., Almeida, D.M., Kelly, E.L., Kind, R.B., Hammer, L., Casper, L., Okechukwu, C., Hanson, G., McHale, S.M. (2015). Parents' Daily Time With Their Children: A Workplace Intervention. Pediatrics. 135(5) 875-882.
- Kelly, E., Moen, P., Oakes, M., Fan, W., Okechukwu, C., Davis, K. D., Hammer, L., Kossek, E., King, R. B., Hanson, G., Mierzwa, F., Casper, L. (2014). Changing Work and Work-Family Conflict: Evidence from the Work, Family, and Health Network. American Sociological Review. 79(3) 485-516.
- Correll, S., Kelly, E., Trimble O'Connor, L., & Williams J. (2014). Redesigning, Redefining Work. Work & Occupations, 41(1) 3-17.
- Perlow, L. & Kelly, E. (2014). Toward a Model of Work Redesign for Better Work and Better Life. Work & Occupations, 41(1) 111-134.
- Hill, R., Tranby, E., Kelly, E., & Moen, P. (2013). Relieving the Time Squeeze? Effects of a White-Collar Workplace Change on Parents. Journal of Marriage and Family. 5: 1014-1029.
- Moen, P., Kelly, E., & Lam, J. (2013). Healthy Work Revisited: Do Changes in Time Strain Predict Well-Being? Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. 18(2):157-72.
- Moen, P., Lam, J., Ammons, S. Kelly, E. (2013) Time Work by Overworked Professionals: Strategies in Response to the Stress of Higher Status. Work & Occupations. 40(2) 79-114.
- Moen, P., Fan, W., & Kelly, E., (2013). Team-level flexibility, work-home spillover, and health behavior. Social Science & Medicine. 84: 69-79.
- Moen, P., Kelly, E., Tranby, E., & Huang, Q. (2011). Changing Work, Changing Health: Can Real Work-Time Flexibility Promote Health Behaviors and Well-Being? Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 52:4, 404-429.
- Kelly, E., Moen, P., & Tranby, E. (2011). Changing Workplaces to Reduce Work-Family Conflict: Schedule Control in a White-Collar Organization. American Sociological Review. 76:2, 265-290.
- Moen, P., Kelly, E., & Hill, R. (2011). Does Enhancing Work-Time Control and Flexibility Reduce Turnover? A Naturally Occurring Experiment. Social Problems. 58:1, 69−98.
- Moen, Phyllis, Kelly, Erin & Huang, Qinlei. (2008). Work, Family and Life-Course Fit: Does Control over Work Time Matter? Journal of Vocational Behavior. 73, 414-425.
- Moen, Phyllis, Erin L. Kelly, and Reiping Huang. (2008)." 'Fit' inside the work-family black box: An ecology of the life course, cycles of control reframing. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 81, 411-433."
- Moen, P., Kelly, E., & Magennis, R. (2008). Gender Strategies: Socialization, Allocation, and Strategic Selection Processes Shaping the Gendered Adult Course. In M.C. Smith and T.G. Reio Jr. (Eds.) Handbook of Research on Adult Development and Learning. pp 378-411. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, Inc.
- Kelly, Erin L., Kossek, Ellen Ernst, Hammer, Leslie B., Durham, Mary, Bray, Jeremy, Chermack, Kelly, Murphy, Lauren A., Kaskubar, Dan (2008). Getting There from Here: Research on the Effects of Work-Family Initiatives on Work-Family Conflict and Business Outcomes. Academy of Management Annals, 2:1, 305-349.